17 November 2008

scariest request.

I'm bigger than I really am.

Well, at least this is the case inside of my head.  Being a sinful creature, I think about myself most of the time.  I think of my life as something for which God has some grand plan, when really the truth is that He has a grand plan for this world and is allowing me to be a part of it.  I'm so big and powerful in my mind that when offered the best of the best in terms of what will make me happy and what will give meaning to my little blip of a life, I say no thanks and pick out something I can do without help to bring myself glory.  With eyes focused so deeply within myself, I miss what He is doing all around me.  Carolina is a huge school; and God has a huge plan for it!  If I don't bring my eyes out from inside myself, I'll miss it.  Four years isn't a long time; I have 7 semesters left.  If they go as fast as this one did, then I'll be throwing up my cap in no time at all.
One of the scariest requests that I can make of my Father is the He would break me, break my will and my pride, break my legs as H
is little lamb so that He must carry me and talk to me so that I will learn what His voice sounds like that I may follow it.  Praying for brokenness is nearly terrifying because we can not even begin to guess at how He will break us, and awaiting His work in this way almost gives me more butterflies than speaking to a crowd of a few hundred.  Well, at least it should give me more butterflies if I am correctly fearful of my God and Father.
My prayer is that He will indeed break me so that I will fall in line with His work and plan for this world and this university.  He is mighty and will bring to completion the work He has started in me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find brokenness to be an odd term. Especially when we're asking God to break us. I'm not convinced that if we 'have it all together' God will come around and break it up to teach us a lesson. If he does anything at all it is to show us that we never had it all together in the first place.

Thoughts?

Annie Donahoe said...

I'm not sure it's an odd term. They way I look at it, if I think I have it all together then He must break apart that illusion if I'm going to see that I indeed don't have it all together. So I guess that what I really mean when I ask to be broken is that I want for the illusion I'm living in to be introduced to reality.

More thoughts??

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that makes sense.