When we do not understand or think about the meaning of words or the possible impact of language we run will likely cheapen it by not using it to its fullest potential. However, if we think before we speak, if we contemplate what we really wish to say and rework our words to convey that in the most effective manor, then maybe we have the chance for our words to be affective and have the impact we desire them to.
James 3:9-10 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be."
I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of letting my mouth run rampant and away from my mind. I don't think about what I say before the words exit my mouth. But with admittance of sin and failure comes the opportunity for God to redeem us in that area.
Be encouraged that this is not the end; there's hope for change. And be spurred to thinking/analyzing/criticizing what you say before you allow it to come out of your mouth.

1 comment:
Good post. If you don't already know, the study of words as symbols is called semiotics.
One of my favorite writers, Umberto Eco, is a professor of semiotics in Italy. I'd definitely recommend his stuff.
-C
Post a Comment