09 November 2008

the steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

In the wake of the recent election, I have read and heard many responses to our new president which have disappointed me.  Let me be the first to say I am not innocent; but I am aware of my wrongs.  The way I now see it, God has given us this president for a reason.  He has a plan for this country.  Man's minds are finite; we can't see or comprehend what He is doing unless He reveals it to us.  God has a plan for this country with Obama as the president.  Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Know that I am not in full agreement with his beliefs and stands on things such as abortion and the war.  I have a very strong opinion about abortion; I put a very high value on human life.  But, as much as I disagree with this man about certain things, God has indeed placed him as the head of this country.  As Christians, we are called to submit to the authority set before us.  Moving to a different country based on the outcome of the election is in my opinion fleeing from the authority God has set before us.  Christians should be setting the example of obedience.  But keep in mind the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in Daniel 3.  They had to submit to the authority of the Babylonians who took them from their homes.  They were obedient to their worldly authorities second to their obedience to God.  
Christians: obey our Father in heaven.  He has told us to submit to the authority over us (Romans 13).  Do not forget though to which kingdom we are bound: the Kingdom of Heaven.  Our first allegiance is to God.  When the orders of the rulers of this world conflict with the orders given us by our Father, God, we obey God.

My mom used to sing me this song when I couldn't sleep: "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning, new every morning. Great is your faithfulness, oh Lord. Great is your faithfulness."  No matter what kind of government we have, we are called to glorify our Lord and to love those around us.  This new government is going to bring new challenges and potentially new blessings to this nation.  But with the new challenges will create new obstacles to love people through.

Okay, my point: Obama is president, and that's that.  He has been elected, and for four years he's in charge (along with the Legislative and Judicial branches).  Christians should be above reproach, respecting and submit to this new authority.  Every living, breathing, carbon-based human is sinful and will screw up.  But humility is crucial.  I pray that the Christians in America will set an example for this nation and support this president, whether they voted to elect him or not.

And so ends that rant. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Good.

A. T. Wright said...

No government or leader can save people, not even a Christian one. Only the gospel and power of Christ's work and Spirit saves people. Bottom line.