His father was a drinker
And his mother cried in bed
Folding John Wayne's T-shirts
When the swingset his his head
The neighbors they adored him
For his humor and his conversation
Look underneath the house there
Finding the few living things
Rotting fast in their sleep of the dead
Twenty-seven people, even more
They were boys with their cars, summer jobs
Oh my God
Are you one of them?
He dressed up like a clown for them
With his face paint white and red
And on his best behavior
In a dark room on the bed he kissed them all
He'd kill ten thousand people
With a sleight of his hand
Running far, running fast to the dead
He took off all their clothes for them
He put a cloth on their lips
Quiet hands, quiet kiss
On the mouth
And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid
Sufjan Stevens, John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life."
~~ 1 Timothy 1:14-16
----------------------------------------------------------------
In case anyone is in need of some explanation, here was my point... Sufjan is grossly detailed in order to accentuate his point that we (humans) are all depraved, fallen, sinful beings. The lines I have put in bold (And in my best behavior / I am really just like him) are to me the key to understanding his song. Even when we are acting our best, we are at the core all fallen depraved creatures by our nature. This wasn't our first nature when Adam and Eve were created, but it is the nature that we have now because of sin. Don't write this post off because it's scary and disgusting. The lyrics are quite unsettling, but that's my point. Our potential as creatures separated from God by sin is scary and disgusting and very, very unsettling. But that's not the end of the story. God, the creator of the universe against whom we sin (disobey him), gave us a way out, a hope to change our nature. Through the death and resurrection of his son Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit, God can change our nature so that we can desire what he desires, love what he loves, and actually (by his power) do things please him. How great is that?? If you don't think that is good news, I'd like to sit down and talk to you about why you don't agree.
Anyways, let the lyrics unsettle you... but let the verses from 1 Timothy give you hope. The end.

1 comment:
And just when I thought I couldn't possible love you anymore than I already do...you blog about Sufjan!! Seriously, Ann. How are you so awesome??
Post a Comment